Getting started as an independent contractor can feel a bit daunting at first, but with some practice you’ll learn your way. Here are some helpful tips to help you get started:
- Make sure that the work you want to do follows the independent contractor IRS guidelines.
- Know the legal aspects of working as a contractor.
- When talking with prospective clients, highlight your assets and skills, and demonstrate how those meet their needs.
- Research similar types of work you do so you know the standard rate for your services.
- Get familiar with writing contracts and make sure you sign a contract with every client.
- Promote yourself via social media platforms.
- Join an independent contractor network such as IQ network.
- Get active in your local business community to meet prospective clients.
- Network! Network! Network!